Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Where Were You?





On this day 11 years ago, I was sitting in my family room watching cartoons with my brother before getting ready for school. I was eating a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch and my mom came in with her cup of coffee to sit with us for a bit. As I flipped through the channels at a commercial break to get from Nickelodeon to the Disney channel, I saw two planes crashing into the World Trade Center on a news station.

Almost anyone can tell you in full detail where they were when the terrorist attacks occurred, but how many people can tell you where they were when it was announced that the United State of America was going to war with Iraq?

Most people don’t remember because going to war seemed like such a natural reaction. 27 minutes after the second plane crashed into the towers, President George W. Bush made this statement:

“I have spoken to the vice president, to the governor of New York, to the director of the FBI, and have ordered that the full resources of the federal government go to help the victims and their families, and to conduct a full-scale investigation to hunt down and to find those folks who committed this act”

The sudden patriotic spirit of the American people created a climate that allowed us to declare military action without much of a thought. People praised the President for taking such quick action, not knowing that the words he said minutes after the attacks would set the stage for 11 years of military action.

Officially, we didn’t go to war on 9/11/01, but we might as well have. Since that day, however, the United States has been involved with the War on Terrorism. First, troops were sent over to find weapons of mass destruction. Next, it was a formal statement that we were sending troops to Iraq and Afghanistan to fight. Even last year, we were still hunting down the “folks who committed this act.” 10 years after the terrorist attacks the Navy SEALS killed Osama Bin Laden, marking the death of the symbolic figurehead of the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

If 9/11 is marked with a memorial ceremony and moment of silence each year, why isn’t the day we went to war commemorated? Or the day the military death toll surpassed the 9/11 victim count? After all, “at least 1,987 US troops have died in Afghanistan and 4.475 in Iraq, according to the Pentagon.” 

The day the planes crashed into the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and a field in Pennsylvania were not events that remained only on that day. These events have followed every military move our country has made for the past 11 years and the horror of them remains etched in the memory of the people who were in the country to witness the attacks. It is easier to commemorate one day a year than have to commemorate every action that was an after effect of the attacks. And for that, we honor them with a moment of silence and keep the victims and their families in our prayers every year on this day. 


http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/10/911-anniversary-2012-new-york-city-memorial_n_1872166.html?utm_hp_ref=september-11-anniversary

3 comments:

  1. I think it is too easy for people to find the events of 9/11 and the war separate. 9/11 actually taking place on American soil opened our eyes to the fact that we are not invincible. But, we are far removed from the war, while we can watch the war on the television or internet, we cannot fully grasp what is happening. I feel that for many people the war doesn't become real until it takes the life of someone they know. Last year in the span of two weeks, three people I went to high school with were killed fighting in the war. The way the community came together with memorials, signs and banners all around town, students protesting the war, made me feel as though people actually understand what is going on. WIthin a couple weeks it felt as though all of this was forgotten, the only ones still hurting from the wounds of this war were the families that lost someone they loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have chills thinking back to that morning. Despite being in fifth grade at the time, the look on my mom's face, who used to work in the towers, said it all. I also remember people in my suburb freaking out about an imminent war on America. Grocery store lines were out the door as people tried to stock up on the necessities. Not only did this show that everyone feared an attack closer to their homes, it shows that everyone was ok with more violence. People were ready for America to retaliate in order to take down whoever was responsible for the 9/11 attacks. It is for this point that I agree with you that the war may have been a little premature but you can't blame the government when everyone was already preparing for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That morning is one that I will never forget. I was also getting ready for school when my mom walked in and tried to explain to me what had happened. I didn't fully grasp the situation until I arrived at school and every teacher was outside telling parents to take their children home, stay with their families, and be safe. That’s when I saw the fear in my parent’s eyes. The unknown if another attack could happen in a big city, like Los Angeles. The pictures from that morning will forever be burned in my mind. I feel a chill run down my spin when I think about it.

    Unfortunately, I think you are right about the lack of memorial for our fallen soldiers. But I also feel that this is true for any war. I believe the reason we think of Pearl Harbor and 9/11 is because they were the only actual major attacks on US soil. If it were up to me I would have more than just Memorial Day to honor and remember our fallen heroes who made the ultimate sacrifice for us.

    ReplyDelete